Saturday 7 November 2009

Pump Review - BikeHut Suspension Shock Pump for Mountain Board use

After 18 months of use, my BikeHut Suspension Shock Pump finally gave up the ghost, that is to say that when using, tires deflate quicker than you can inflate. This appears to be due to washers that have deteriorated rather than anything physically breaking or wearing out so, if I can get hold of some replacement washers, I will.
Still, seems to be a good time to give it a review as any so here we go!

I bought this specifically for its small size - around 6 inches, and the handy gauge that purports to go up to 300 psi... I don't know how accurate the gauge was, but at least it did mean that I could inflate to the same amount each time for each tire. The screw on valve attachment was also handy and easy attachable compared to some of the bulky quick release versions that couldn't fit to the valves being so close to the rims. The pump also has a decent bleed valve for further adjustment. Seems to be solidly construct with metal shaft and housing.

On the downside, inflating even an 8 inch tire to 40 psi took time and many, many pumps which was knackering, took a while to use and I suspected was the reason for the pump wearing out quicker than it would normally. Also, although the pump was small, it was still too large to fit in my camelbak and so would typically remain in the boot of the car.

20 quid from Halfords here so about midrange price range and I do intend to repair, if I can track down the right size washers. I did need a pump though in the meantime, so with size out the window, I've bought a Top Joe Blow Sport Pump here, review to follow in about a year, or if it breaks in the meantime. Just for those that are curious about my links, I am all for supporting my local bike shop, but I visited a handful in and around Derby and the selection of pumps was terrible!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pal, that's a shock pump. It's intended to put air on a shock absorber, not inflate a tyre. That's why it's called a shock pump.
I can imagine inflating a tyre with that. At the end, I wouldn't want to ride anymore.
To inflate a shock, you only need a dozen pumps.
It gave up because it wasn't used properly.

AdeMcC said...

Well, yes, the clue is in the name - shock pump. For the most part, out in the countryside inflating an 8 inch tire from say 20 to 40 psi, really doesn't take a huge amount of pumps. It wasn't used for it's original intention, but for 18 months it worked fine. Everything breaks eventually.