Sunday 7 February 2010

Return to the Chase, Freeride Meetup, a Write Up


6 confirmed guests on the Facebook page, 9.30am at designated carpark, 1 no-show, but Roger brought Jon straight from the pages of Remolition! That took us back up to 6: Clayton (MBS), Mark (MBS), Roger (Trampa), local lad Adam (MBS), Jon (noSno) and myself (MBS).

Can't do a full write up as I had to leave at midday, but at least I was the first to get a nice bath; Clayton and Mark had a drive back to Cheltenham; and Roger, Adam and Jon stayed longer to explore more of the Chase.

Great day out, we discovered a lot about each other and what we'd do for a chocolate biscuit.....as well as discover some epic riding spots!

Hmmm, not the best photos ever.  I know Roger and Jon took some photos, fingers crossed they came out a bit better than mine did.

On a positive note, for my first serious session of the year it was good to get back on board.  Other than today, I've only had chance for a couple of brief sessions this year - the first in the snow as detailed previously an the other a quick session in Allestree Woods.  Found a new couple of lines so intend to write these up soon.

As per the Chase itself, it just goes to show that you can pick a different car park and have an entirely different days riding.  I think when I previously tried to estimate the size of Cannock Chase, I was way, way off the mark. Cannock Chase is big.  Like, really big.  Like, massive!  (100 square miles says Adam).  Looks as though there are rich pickings to be found everywhere, though it certainly helped having the local knowledge to point us in the right direction.  Was also nice that the local downhill bikers who's dedicated trails we were attempting to ride, were all pretty cool - the ones we met anyway!

Last thing of note was a couple on horses who stopped as we were changing in the car park.  After the usual pleasantries and standard questions, they continued on with a definite feeling that what we were doing was a little on the unsafe side.  Without hesitation, I can certainly say that I trust my board over a horse any day of the week!

3 comments:

Mutley said...

Well done Ade for coming through with the write up again! was an amazing day with a fantastic bunch of blokes and a sweet place to ride!

Anonymous said...

I want to go back right now! Nice job Ade. GM

AdeMcC said...

Aye, sweet days riding! Look forward to more in the not too distant future! I'll have to come down and ride in your neck of the woods before too long.