Wednesday 3 September 2008

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog. This is my first attempt at blogging and came about through the need to get all my musings down in one place on all things boardy. I am not a writer as is probably apparent, and am pretty rubbish at all things boardy. This has not stopped me so far....

I guess an introduction is only polite so hey, I'm Ade, how do you do.

I am (at the time of writing) 29 and approximately a month away from turning 30. This is not normally considered middle aged, but in a world where most skateboarders retire at 18, I feel the blog name is appropriate. I have a long term gf and a mortgage and I think far too much about boarding far too much. Perhaps if I write all my thoughts down I will be able to get on with the important things a bit more - free my mind so to speak.

My first go on a skateboard was at the age of 8 when my brother got an old style fish-shaped board. Living on a gravelly cul-de-sac meant that this never amounted to much till later in life.

My second go on a skateboard was at the age of 10 on my mates brothers board in the school playground. In any other story, this would be the inspiration to a whole new world of boarding. However, I don't remember being so fussed to do anything about it.

At the age of 16 I took up wind-surfing for a while. Wind surfing is wicked. Knackering, but wicked all the same. Wind surfing has a few things that make it harder to keep up as a hobby that shall be described later at some point.

At the age of 18 made a snowboardy type board using brothers old fish board facing backwards and holding on with a bit of string. Fun but without any control whatsoever and I don't recall having half of much snow in the midlands since that winter.

In 2006 my mum paid for my brother and I to have an hours lesson mountain boarding at KMC in north Derbyshire. This lead to me buying off ebay a board that I have been using at least once a week for most weeks since. More information about this later.

In December 2007 on a whim, I bought a long board. More information about this later.

In May 2008 I tried snowboarding at Tamworth Snowdome. More information about this later.

In August 2008 I bought a Freebord. More information about this later.

So, this'll do for a start. With best intentions, I intend to update this weekly, though we'll see what happens. It's as much about the experiment as anything else.

Cheers,

Ade

No comments: