Friday 6 May 2011

ABS Brake Repair


After breaking the brake hose a couple of weeks back up in Allestree Park, the hunt was on to either get new parts and repair, or find someone else to do the honours for me.  But what was the bit that was broken, and where to get new parts from?

Pretty soon, I had a pretty good idea of what was required though it was looking likely that buying a kit and bits to refill the hydraulic fluid and bleed was going to be reasonably costly.

However, things we looking good in that I had received a response from Nick, the man behind Alpine Brakes who did have the relevant parts in stock and would be happy to give my system a once over if I were to post it out to him.  This was great news and meant that in a worst case scenario, I knew something could be sorted.

But another option presented itself.  A suggestion was made on the Surfing Dirt forums that I should try one of the local bike shops and see if they did repairs.  I got in the car and went on the hunt.

Shop 1 gave me a straight 'no', but pointed me in the direction of another bike shop a mile down the road.  Fair enough.

Shop 2 initially looked good, but then changed their mind.  I asked if they they'd have a look anyway to give me an indication of part numbers.  They said 'no' and suggested I contacted Magura direct (the brake is essentially a Magura brake with custom bracket to attach to front axle).  I couldn't be arsed with this, especially if it still meant that I'd have to do the bulk of the work.  Shop 3 was suggested on the other side of town.

Shop 3 looked promising.  I was sent to the rear carpark to the service department who were happy to take a look; make enquiries on my behalf; and assuming they could get the right part, refill and bleed for me.

Three working days later, and success!  I have picked up the brake, and apart from reattaching to the front axle (five minute job), is ready to go.  All for £18 (£8 parts and £10 fluid and fitting).

And that is why we recommend using Samways, Ashbourne Road, Derby for all your hydraulic brake repair requirements.

6 comments:

the 6th degree said...

Back of the net!!!

AdeMcC said...

Yep, and the whole lot worked a treat this weekend up in the woods. Cheers Chris for the bike shop suggestion!

Tyson Bunker said...

Nice writing. Great experience you have shared. I must say that you are a great blogger.

emilly said...

nice informative stuff
panel beater

Unknown said...

If you have trouble dealing in your brakes then you can count on brake repair because they perform 1000's of quality brake jobs per month for LESS money than any other brake store in town! People ask them, "How can you repair and service brakes for so little?"... well its simple. All they do are brakes! They buy their quality brake parts directly from the manufacturer and pass the savings on directly to their customers!

Unknown said...

gate
binance
coinbase mi binance mi
bitcoin
binance referans kimliği nedir
kripto para nasıl alınır
coin nasıl alınır
binance 20
tiktok jeton