Tuesday 13 April 2010

Allen Keys - MBS

Allen keys are one of those necessities when mountain boarding, be it to tighten your bolts generally to prevent bits from falling off, or to make adjustments to the spring tension. Occasionally Allen keys will be used when the whole thing needs stripping down for maintenance.

But which Allen key where?  MBS do some nice diagrams here and are reproduced throughout this post for ease of use.  Although it looks like a lot of tools are required, in reality, most of them can be covered by a cheap set of allen keys in conjunction with the MBS Spanner that may or may not have come with your board??   If not then a set of spanners or single adjustable spanner will do the trick.
 The MBS Spanner

Whilst this really isn't a maintenance post regarding full pre-ride checks and all that, I'll just say that personally before leaving the car I'll make sure that a) the wheels aren't going to fall off, b) the top hanger is attached to the deck nice and tightly, and c) the bindings look secure.  All the tools then stay in the car apart from a 4mm Allen key which I take to make adjustments to the spring tension en-route.
The very handy Ikea 4mm Allen Key

Useful tip - Ikea furniture very often comes with a 4mm Allen key to assemble their furniture.  A handful of these in the car means I can afford to loose a few here or there without problems.

For completeness, below are the tools required for some other MBS boards.  I've no idea if the newer models have different tool requirements, but seeing as they are all based on similar components, I imagine that they don't.



Anyway, that's all I can think to say on Allen keys...... to be followed by Allen Keys - noSno

2 comments:

smilie said...

wow you have been busy, good work.

I used to have a snowboard tool with a couple of alan key sockets.

SurfingDirt Mountain Board said...

very informative post, I swear I learn something everytime I visit this blog. Us middle aged mountainboarder's really have it together :p

Mountain board every day