Tuesday 7 February 2012

The 'Summertime Sessions'

So, this is a plan.  Not 'the' plan as it's still got to be sorted out in my head, so more of a concept.  I thought if I put it out there then people can comment.

My plan is to ride Darley Park every Monday evening from March 26th till October 28th.  I'll have with me at least one spare board with a complete set of pads so that anyone who fancies joining me for a ride will know that I'll be there, and anyone who fancies a go, can do so.

Why Mondays?  Mondays are usually good to be out because there's not much on TV, and the dates are set for British Summer Time i.e. longer daylight.

Why Darley?  Why not Allestree?  Darley Park is a nice slope with a few trees that can be mixed up in various ways.  It has a carpark very close to the top and is close to the city centre.  Far more people use Darley for recreational use and we should be seen by lots of people.  Darley can accommodate ramps well, or be set up with slalom cones, or just dodge the trees and in summer time when the ground is hard - Darley flies.

But I really want to ride Allestree!  Allestree is a 5-minute drive away.  It could be we do 7pm beginner/freestyle stuff at Darley, 8.30pm onwards for freeride at Allestree.

But you can't do freestyle....     No, I though I'd leave that to someone else.....

Are you insured? *cough* no.

It may be that this gets condensed down to just the summer holidays, or that it only happens when there is interest through Mountainboard Derby, or that it fizzles out due to lack of interest, but it could be worth doing, even if it gets me out the house on a more regular basis.

So, lets see what happens with this and please let me know your thoughts, especially any that can turn this into a better plan of action.  Cheers!

Update:  There's a pretty good discussion going on here if you want to add anything.

Expand on the above, please.  In my mind, it's sort of a 'mid-week training' before the 'weekend big match', so not exactly a replacement for semi-regular meets, but a platform to introduce locals to the whole thing and pointing them in the right direction if they want a bit more. Darley I've suggested for being relatively undaunting for the first time rider. It'd be cool even if the same fella turned up to borrow the board each week as we'd have another local rider on the scene, or even if no-one else turned up as I'd use the time to practice riding switch etc etc

Why again?  One aspect I failed to mention is that we get a small but steady stream of people contacting the ATBA wanting to try mountainboarding in the East-Midlands area. At the moment we point them in the direction of the nearest centres which is usually Hales (hour+half drive). It will make life simpler if we can let them know that something will be happening every Monday somewhere significantly closer.

Darley???  It's here: Parking off Darley Park Road, nice slope to the East.

View Larger Map

2 comments:

Travis said...

I think this is a great idea, Darley is an hour from me so I would surely make it every now and then. Sounds like a good place to work on core skills.

AdeMcC said...

Nice one Travis - cheers for the support!