Tuesday 21 June 2011

Project: Mini Quarter - Part 2: Got Wood

 [It's a bit bigger than I imagined in my head...]

Note this blog post is the second in a series documenting the ongoing build of a mini quarter.  Please see Part 1, here.  For those that have already viewed Part 1, please note that Part 1 has now been updated with sexy photos so if that's not an incentive, I don't know what is.

Also just thought that not everyone will be happy dealing with feet and inches.  In which case, ask a grown-up ;-D

Right then.  Since last time, I've chopped 2"x4" timber to length 3'10'' 1/2.  I guess the sides make up the extra 1''1/2 to make it 4' wide overall.  Did this by hand initially before realising that a lot of cutting was going to be necessary so borrowed Dads hand jigsaw.  This made work much easier -  Happy fathers day, Dad!
[Using one side as a template for the other]

Chopped side pieces out of my precut 2'x8' lengths.  I couldn't follow the method used on the website I had got the plans for, but used two lengths of 5'6'' pieces of string to find the centre point before tracing the line three times. (got it wrong first couple of times).  Rather than measure everything a second time, I used the first side as a template for the second side.  Compared the two side by side, and apart from minor imperfections they seem to be close enough.

Chopped a section of Ply 2'x4' for the top.  Easy job!

Back to Derby Timber Supplies for a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8'' Ply.  This I will use to cover the ramp and to fit in the car, got them to cut me the sheet into two: a larger 4'x4'1'' and the smaller 4'x3'11''.  This I'll need to cut down to 3'9'', but that's easy enough.  The sheet of ply cost £12 and whilst I was in there, bought a large box of 60mm screws for £5.  The cost of materials so far is on the rise, but I do have some good off-cuts that'll be useful elsewhere.

So, a couple of bits I can work on, and I now know that by Masonite, they mean hardboard!  Still need to source me some steel tubing though.  I need a length minimum 4' of 2"OD, Schedule 80 steel pipe (~60mm steel pipe).  If you know where I can get some, or can suggest an equivalent, please get in touch!

2 comments:

smilie said...

steal it from a scaffold next time you are site or maybe just ask a scaffolder if you can by some.

AdeMcC said...

Don't worry, Smilie, coping has been acquired ;-D